Child and Young Person Protection Policy
Policy 2:1 August 2021
Introduction – statement of commitment
Sexual Abuse Support and Healing considers the safety of the child/young person to be always of paramount importance and our prime consideration. SASH is committed to recognizing and responding to child abuse and neglect. This commitment applies to children or young people who are clients of SASH and children associated with or cared for by SASH clients. SASH is guided by Oranga Tamariki Act 1989, Family Violence Act 2018, and Privacy Act 1993/2020
SASH is committed to the following principles:
- This policy recognizes that children and young people have a right to be safe from abuse and harm without exception regardless of gender, age, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender, culture, language, religion, or belief.
- Support for survivors of sexual abuse and assault is based upon confidentiality, however when risk to a child/children is identified or child abuse/neglect is suspected or disclosed then the welfare and paramountcy of the child will take priority over confidentiality.
- During client interaction, risk to a child or current or historical abuse of a child may be identified, and this must not be ignored.
- SASH is committed to the prevention of abuse and to the well-being of all children, young people, and their families.
- SASH is committed to always acting in the best interest of the children and young people to whom it provides a service.
- SASH is committed to responding to abuse, suspected child abuse or disclosure of abuse as soon as reasonably possible.
- SASH recognizes that the family and whānau have the primary role in caring and protecting the child/young person, and that this role should be valued and maintained. However the child/young person’s safety should have priority.
- SASH acknowledges that in cases of suspected child abuse, support for families and whānau is important.
- SASH will ensure any disclosure about alleged abuse is taken seriously and a report to Oranga Tamariki made to ensure the safety of children/young people who disclose information.
- SASH is committed to comply with all relevant legislation.
- SASH Child and Young Person Protection Policy will be reviewed annually or after an incident or event.
- The SASH Child Protection Policy and procedures are the guiding document and must be followed when staff are dealing with all child protection concerns.
- Staff not following policy will result in disciplinary action.